In 1869, the town of Tilton, previously known as Sanbornton Bridge or Bridge Village, came into its own when it separated from Sanbornton. Its foremost benefactor, Charles Elliott Tilton, requested the town be named in honor of his ancestors, who were early settlers of the area. Charles added a touch of aristocracy to the town's character, decorating the streets with European statues and elegant buildings. Tilton's wealth was created by factories along the Winnipesaukee River as well as by large agricultural and dairy farms north of the river. A tourist industry that was centered around Lake Winnisquam began in the eastern hamlets of Lochmere and Winnisquam. Today, Interstate 93 passes through Tilton, which is now a gateway to the vacation lands of the White Mountains and Lake Winnipesaukee.
Cash back powered by RakutenDone