By most accounts, 2010 was a banner year for holiday shopping, at least until the adjusted figures come in. Consumers spent 5.5 percent more this season than last, stocking up on everything from apparel to luxury goods. Online sales went through the roof, too, up more than 13 percent to a record $31 billion from November through December.
To keep the momentum going – and make way for new inventory – retailers continue to go all out to help part you from your cash. Here's a roundup of some hot post-holiday deals, if you've got anything left to spend. As always, there's plenty of fine print, so be sure to read the details carefully and check the deadlines:
More from ConsumerReports.org:
• Talbots: The chain’s running its annual Red Hanger sale with as much as 60 percent off clearance merchandise.
• Macy’s: Twenty-five to 75 percent off original prices, plus a “buy more, save more” sale for online customers (save extra $10 for every $50 spent, to a maximum discount of $50).
• Orvis: Take an extra 20 percent off more than 1,700 already-reduced items for men, women, pets, and home in the company’s outlet section.
• Kohl's: Sixty to 70 percent off clearance merchandise, and as much as 80 percent off of final-markdown goods. Free shipping on orders of $75.
• Eddie Bauer: The chain’s “biggest sale of the season” promises savings of up to 60 percent on apparel, bedding, bags, and other gear. The chain also is running a special half-off sales on footwear for online shoppers and similar exclusive savings on fleece outerwear for shoppers who visit a walk-in store.
• Lowe's: Savings of 20 to 40 percent on select small appliances (online only).
• Bon-Ton: Take 50 to 60 percent off clearance merchandise, and save as much as 20 percent more by entering promo code JANCLRNCE11 for online orders or in-store by clipping coupon. Special Web promotion on Sketchers Tone-ups (save $10) by clicking here.
• Lord & Taylor: The chain is having a storewide clearance with 60 to 80 percent savings on “new markdowns and new arrivals” across all categories. Enter promo code TAKE2 or print out coupon for in-store purchases.
Copyright © 2006-2010 Consumers Union of U.S., Inc. No reproduction, in whole or in part, without written permission.