cruelty-free cosmetics brands and all of the sad truths involved—and much of it surprised us beauty editors and bloggers as we did our research on this article. We discovered that half of the brands we own are either owned by a major cosmetics company that do animal testing, or are a brand that decided that it was in their best interest to sell their products in China—a country that still requires animal testing on cosmetics—but is taking very small steps back to change it. Until we achieve 100% cruelty-free participation from China and other countries, we will still have to rely on blogs and lists from websites like LeapingBunny.org for the latest information. The good news for animal lovers is that there are many fabulous brands that are cruelty-free, and we’ve got our favorites listed here for you.There is a sea of information out there on
We are makeup hoarders, and found that many brands we owned were not cruelty-free, but we are thrilled to find out a lot of our holy grail products were. These brands have our heart: The Balm, Charlotte Tilbury, Jane Iredale, Koh Gen Do, Pur Minerals, Hourglass, e.l.f, Circa, Cover FX, and Prestige.
Products we love:
- Cover FX Matte Setting Powder ($32), the perfect loose setting powder to control shine. No parabens or fragrances added!
- Jane Iredale Amazing Base Loose Mineral Powder Broad Spectrum SPF 20 ($30), providing excellent coverage and sun protection, this is all you need for a flawless face.
- NARS Blush ($30), this longtime cult-classic shade looks great on just about everyone.
- Prestige Cosmetics Flawless Touch Blush ($7), a drugstore staple, this affordable peachy blush brings life to dull complexions.
- Pur Minerals 4-In-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup ($24), always feels clean and fresh, this powder hydrates the skin with organic shea butter while silica absorbs excess oil.
- e.l.f Shimmering Facial Whip ($1), do not adjust your screens, this beautiful product really costs just a buck. Always in our makeup routine, this is what we use to strobe our way to unicorn skin.
- Hourglass Ambient Strobe Lighting Powder ($38), for those who prefer a powder highlight, this one gives you an ethereal glow that will have people asking if you woke up like that.
- Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation ($62), a product that is flying off of the shelves, this gorgeous liquid foundation contains mineral powder to brighten the skin and minimize the look of large pores.
- Circa Color Balance BB Cream ($14), this new drugstore product received high reviews for having long-lasting sheer coverage with oil-controlling ingredients.
- Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow ($68), this is one of our most favorite products on the list. We love the highly pigmented sculpting bronzer and the supercharged glow of the highlight powder. There’s a palette for medium to dark, and light to medium skintones.
- The Balm Mary-Lou Manizer ($24), if you’re searching for a product that serves multiple purposes, this highlighting powder is it. Add a subtle shimmer to your cheekbones, eyes, and sweep it across your décolletage as a finishing touch to your look.
When it comes to your precious peepers these brands don’t dare test on animals: BH Cosmetics, Pixi, Emani, Cailyn Cate McNabb, Napoleon Perdis, Sugarpill, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Revitalash, ZuZu, Makeup Geek, Jane, Gabriel Cosmetics, Physician’s Formula, and Jordana.
Some of our favorites:
- BH Cosmetics Loose Eyeshadow Pigments ($9), we go crazy for these highly pigmented loose powder shadows.
- Pixi Sculpting set in Medium ($24), found at Target, this palette includes 6 shades for brightening, highlighting, and bronzing/contouring.
- Emani Crushed Mineral Color Dust ($10.50), always affordable, these pigments will last you for years. So many colors, so little time!
- Cailyn Gelux Eyebrow Gel ($18), the packaging is great for travel, and we love the formula of this gel eyebrow color. Always looks natural and is paraben-free, gluten-free, and eco-friendly.
- Cate McNabb Mineral Gel Eyeliner in Brown ($22), we absolutely love this long-wear gel eyeliner. Soft, creamy, and wears fabulous all day.
- Napoleon Perdis Long Black Mascara ($39), a bit of a luxury splurge, this lash-conditioning mascara features a paraben-free nourishing formula with an angled wand for perfectly curled lashes.
- Sugarpill Pressed Eyeshadow in Midori ($12), this beauty fanatic favorite delivers shocking color payoff that is Instagram-worthy.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer Pencil ($23), life-changing brow product from our favorite eyebrow guru. This creamy formula glides on while it fills in the brows for a natural look.
- Revitalash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner ($67), Yahoo Shopping beauty editor-tested and approved, this lash conditioner does thicken and lengthen lashes within about 6 weeks. Be patient, it works!
- Zuzu Liquid Eyeliner ($16), this mineral-based eyeliner in a beautiful midnight blue color is 100% vegan.
- Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pan ($10), beauty fanatics love this brand. We love that it is talc and paraben-free.
- Other brands we love: Jane, Gabriel Cosmetics, Physician’s Formula, Jordana, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, and Hard Candy.
There are a million lipsticks and lip products to choose from, but which are not tested on animals? These brands deliver a high-quality product, but are kind to our furry friends: ColourPop, Wet n Wild, Too Faced, Milani, Lipstick Queen, and Dose of Colors.
Products we love:
- ColourPop Ultra Matte Lips in Beeper ($6), the surprising price tag on these luxurious lip colors is a pleasant surprise. With 47 amazing shades to choose from, we love the medium taupe brown shade of Beeper.
- Wet n Wild Mega Last Lip Color in 24 Carrot Gold (drugstore prices vary), this lipstick is always in our bags, in all colors. So affordable, and easily found at most drugstores, we love the highly pigmented 24 Carrot Gold shade for a pop of color.
-Too Faced Melted Liquid Lipstick ($21), Melted lipstick delivers 24 shades of deliciously cocoa-infused tubes of shiny lip color. If you love pigmented color, these are for you!
- Milani Color Statement Lipstick ($9), another drugstore hero, these matte or satin lipstick colors from Milani are another big favorite in our makeup bags.
- Lipstick Queen ($22), we love all of the super-flattering shades of lipstick from Lipstick Queen. The “Saint” lipstick collection contains just 10% pigment which delivers just a hint of pretty color.
- Dose of Colors ($18), when you want bold color, this is a cult favorite. Highly-pigmented and available in on-trend shades like Brick, a velvety bordeaux red shade.
Shopping for animal fur-free makeup brushes can be tricky, and there aren’t a lot of vegan brush brands that perform at a professional level. Luckily, Sigma released the Mr. Bunny Travel Kit ($86), made with Sigmax HD fibers to guarantee perfect product placement. A majority of Sigma’s brushes feature synthetic fibers.
Everyone should own a BeautyBlender ($39 for sponge and cleanser combo)! When damp, this sponge creates a flawless liquid and crème foundation application. We love it when blending concealer under the eyes. Nothing beats the liquid cleanser for bringing your dirty brushes and sponges back to life.
We love the look of dramatic, fluttering lashes, but how can you find a cruelty-free option? The awesome artistry brand Illamasqusa has a full line of handmade dramatic and conservative lashes ($22) that are tested on pretty faces, not animals.
When it comes to your face, these brands care about keeping animals out of their testing labs : Josie Maran, Murad, Naturopathica, Juice Beauty, The Honest Co., Dermalogica, Dr. Dennis Gross, Desert Essence, Queen Helene, and Paula's Choice.
Products we love:
- Dermalogica Barrier Repair ($31), a silicone-based moisturizer for correcting stressed skin.
- Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash ($6), this natural brand’s product thoroughly cleanses your face with tea tree oil and sea kelp.
- Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Universal Daily Peels ($88), best-selling daily antiaging towelettes that retexturize the skin, and are also paraben-free.
- The Honest Company Bug Spray ($13), keep pests away naturally with 4 hours of protection.
- Josie Maran 100 percent Pure Argan Oil Light ($48), the lighter version of the cult-favorite argan oil, for all skin types.
- Juice Beauty Smoothing Eye Concentrate ($25), this beautiful eye cream is made with certified organic grape and carrot juices to aid with hydration.
- Paula's Choice Resist Intensive WrinkleRepair Retinol Serum ($40), this antiaging serum brightens and fades age spots with Vitamin C, and reduces fine lines with the added retinol.
- Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque ($5), this drugstore cult-classic face masque helps rid your skin of blackheads, acne, and shrink large pores.
- Murad Acne Fighting Favorites Kit ($50), this oil-free duo cleanses and delivers acne-fighting hydration while preventing future breakouts.
- Naturopathica Argan & Retinol Wrinkle Repair Night Cream ($104), reducing wrinkles while you sleep, this unique blend of peptides and plant stem cells renews and firms the skin.
Treat your body well with these lotions and potions—tested on humans only! These brands get our thumbs up: DeVita, Dr. Bronner’s, EO, Nourish Organic, Molton Brown, Lavanilla, and Jason.
Some of our favorites:
- DeVita Hand & Body Brulee ($18), this fragrance-free body butter boasts a 100% vegan and paraben free label.
- Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castille Soap in Peppermint ($7), we use this for everything from cleaning makeup brushes to cleaning our bathroom sink. Oh, and you can use it on your face, body, and hair, too.
- EO Body Lotion in French Lavender ($7), the French lavender oil is healing, while it reminds us of the beautiful French countryside.
- Nourish Organic Body Lotion ($12), this non-greasy formula absorbs beautifully into the skin with all certified organic ingredients.
- Molton Brown Honeysuckle & White Tea Shower Gel ($30), this luxurious body wash envelops you in beautiful fragrance. Find tranquility within your own shower stall.
- Lavanilla Healthy Deodorant ($14), for super-sensitive skin, this fragrance-free deodorant is free of chemicals or harsh ingredients.
- Jason Apricot Deodorant Stick ($6), for fresh underarms without added aluminum or parabens, this natural stick provides great odor protection for those looking for a natural choice.
You can wash and condition your hair knowing these brands love bunnies: Shea Moisture, Paul Mitchell, Nexxus, Manic Panic, and Nuance by Salma Hayek.
Products we love:
- Manic Panic Amplified Hair Color, Vampire Red ($15), the best temporary punk rock red hair dye we’ve tried. Vegan!
- Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner ($18), formulated with vitamin E, coconut oil and honey, this classic conditioner still delivers beautiful results.
- Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum ($21), this awesome serum delivers mirror-like shine and moisture, and saved us from breakage after bleaching.
- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo ($9), this affordable drugstore find really does what it says: heals, grows, and strengthens. Paraben-free and sulfate-free!
- Nuance Healthy Shine Nourishing Oil ($10), this top-rated CVS drugstore treasure is made with argan, coconut, moringa, and olive oils to help tame frizz and smooth the hair’s cuticle.
Spring and summer are just around the seasonal corner, and it’s time to toss your old sunscreens and replace them with fresh products. Here are the brands of sunscreen and sunless tanning that will keep you glowing til the end of summer: Fake Bake, Alba Botanica, Kiss My Face, and Beautisol.
Products we love:
- Fake Bake Flawless Self Tanning Liquid with Mitt ($26.50), with a few spritzes and a swipe of a velour mitt, you’ll get an enviable tan that lasts without the sun. Formulated with no parabens or artificial preservatives.
- Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen SPF 45 ($6), at this price point, you should stock up on several tubes of this water-resistant sunscreen. Gluten-free and synthetic fragrance free, this sunscreen is also recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation.
- Coola Makeup Setting Spray with SPF 30 ($36), being the best of both worlds, this makeup setting spray also adds a dose of high SPF sun protection while it locks your face in place. We’ve tried many setting sprays, and nothing (so far) has worked better than this.
- Kiss My Face SPF 30 Mineral Sun Spray Lotion ($12), play hard this coming spring and summer with this fragrance-free, non-comedogenic sunscreen. With aloe, olive oil and carrot root extract, this convenient spray can easily be applied every 40 minutes if you are swimming or sweating.
- Beautisol Self-Tanning Mousse ($29), if you hate the smell of most self-tanners, it is time to rejoice. The Beautisol self-tanning mousse contains an odor-eliminating fragrance technology that helps rid that weird self-tanner scent. Moisturizing and nourishing, this paraben-free formula adds an instant soft tan while the deeper tan develops over 6 to 8 hours.
(The cruelty-free status of these brands are subject to change after the posted date.)
Slideshow photos created on Polyvore.