Sure, jewelry is always a nice gift for your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day (The Best Valentine’s Day Gifts for Women), but chocolate is the more affordable choice. Problem is, there are numerous options. What are some of the best, most delicious chocolates?
We sat down with one of the country’s top pastry chefs, Michael Laiskonis, and had him taste and judge an assortment of chocolates--all under $25 and under $10.
Here are his top picks in each of our three “Best Of” categories:
1) Godiva Valentine’s Day Truffles: $12 for 20 pieces
2) See’s Strawberry Truffles: $5.90 for 5 pieces
3) Jacques Torres’ Champagne Truffles: $20 for 10 pieces
Winner: Jacques Torres Champagne Truffles
Best-tasting chocolate with nuts
1) Ferrero Rocher; $9.99 for 16 pieces
2) Russell Stover’s Nut Cluster Assortment: $9.99 for 17 pieces
3) Lindt: $9.99 for 10 pieces
Winner: Ferrero Rocher’s chocolates
Best looking AND best tasting/Presentation
1) John & Kira’s Lovebugs and Bees: $24.95 for 9 pieces using this PROMO CODE: YSS13.
Valid until 3PM Eastern on Wednesday, 2/13/13.
2) Moonstruck’s Heart Shaped Box of Dark Chocolates. $25 for 10 pieces using this PROMO CODE: YAHOO
3) Max Brenner’s 18 Bon Bons: Collectible Tin is $23.90.
PROMO CODE: MAXYAHOO gets you 10% off on all orders from 2/8 through 2/14.
Winner: John & Kira’s Lovebugs and Bees
Best tasting overall
Of the 9 chocolates that Chef Laiskonis tasted, one stood out for best tasting, overall:
Jacques Torres Champagne Truffles
Watch the video to see Chef Laiskonis’ blindfolded taste test and hear his opinions on why he chose the chocolates he did.
Ready to order? Remember to use the Savvy Spender PROMO CODES to get your special discount on some of these delectable delights. And connect with me on Twitter @veragibbons to share your favorite picks.
(See also: Yahoo! Shopping's Valentine's Day Gift Guide)