You can make the transition from home to dorm easy. Here are 10 back-to-school essentials (each one vetted by Lucky editors) that every guy should add to his shopping list. Our picks include an alarm clock that ensures you’ll never miss a class, a hoodie you'll wear to death, and a genius note-taking device—and not one item costs more than $150.
1. There's a reason that the 501 is a classic: The straight leg, fitted cut, and pocket detailing are ultra-flattering. This pair, made of super-trendy dark-rinse selvage denim, is about a quarter of the price of similar styles from other brands.
LEVI'S, $49.90, US.LEVI.COM
More from Luckymag.com:
2. Incredibly helpful—This alarm clock can be set to a different time for each morning of the week based on your class schedule. We also love that you can program the snooze button to your specifications (from one to 30 minutes).
AMERICAN INNOVATIVE, $36.99, DORMBUYS.COM
3. Plaid continues to be hugely popular, and we’re huge fans of the blue, gray, and white color scheme of this appealingly rumpled cotton option. This shirt would look great on its own—and even better under a crewneck sweater, a sweatshirt, or jacket.
21MEN, $24.90, FOREVER21.COM
4. A sportily masculine option that’s also understatedly chic, thanks to the matching black band and bezel. Made of durable materials and highly water-resistant, it’s practically indestructible. (It comes with a one-year warranty if you do manage to somehow break or damage it, though.)
TIMEX, $42, TIMEX.COM
5. From the storied outdoor goods retailer, this is the chicest leather-trimmed journal we’ve ever seen. It’s also surprisingly rugged: The twill has been treated with paraffin wax and the leather is vegetable-tanned—both processes help to repel water and dirt.
FILSON, $97.50, FILSON.COM
6. A comfortable option in versatile slate gray, this hooded sweatshirt is a wardrobe must-have. Made of lightweight “flex fleece” (a half-cotton, half-polyester blend), it’s nicely slim and streamlined. And the contrasting white zipper and drawstrings are subtle but cool.
AMERICAN APPAREL, $42, AMERICANAPPAREL.NET
7. A tough yet sleek aluminum case and a unique fan of compartments sets this inventive wallet apart. The design helps you find your cash and credit cards easily; the size is small enough to fit comfortably in a back pocket.
ÖGON, $39, THESTYLECUBE.COM
8. Possibly the cleanest, most polished-looking radio we’ve ever seen—this wireless device plays over 10,000 Internet stations and is unobtrusive enough to match any decor. Plus, you can sync it to your computer to play music from your own personal library.
PHILIPS, $139, AMAZON.COM
9. Just the quickest, most foolproof way to take notes. This mini computer holds more than 200 hours’ worth of lectures, and through a high-tech notebook, it allows you to link audio to what you’re writing. Easy-to-install software uploads everything you’ve recorded to your Mac or PC.
LIVE SCRIBE, $149.95, LIVESCRIBE.COM
10. Knock-around black-and-white Chuck Taylors can be worn with just about any outfit—they’d be ideal with shorts in early fall and with jeans when the weather gets colder. Here, the timeless canvas style is updated with a grungy-cool swatch of plaid on the tongue.
CONVERSE, $55, CONVERSE.COM
More from Luckymag.com: