There aren’t many women out there (myself included) who want to have to worry about maintaining their hairstyle during the super hot days of summer. Don’t be that girl that just washes and goes. Instead save time, money and stay chic (not sweaty) by following these top tips!
1. Skip A Haircut
Time for a haircut? Maybe not! Jenny Cho, Suave Professionals Celebrity Stylist, suggests you follow these tips to make your current cut last longer:
• Moisturize strands with an overnight mask or oil treatment. It can do wonders to rehabilitate your hair and keep it healthy in-between trims. (Try Moroccanoil Light Treatment, $40, moroccanoil.com.)
• If your hair has grown out or you’re noticing a few too many split ends, try giving yourself a faux-bob. This is a hot red carpet look right now because it looks like you gave yourself a haircut, but you actually just pinned your length underneath. The key to nailing this style is to keep it loose and unkempt.
TIME SAVED: Up to one hour (i.e. the amount of time it would take for you to get a hair cut at the salon).
2. Don’t Wash
There’s really no need to wash your strands daily when you can simply follow these tips from Rodney Cutler, owner of Cutler Salon NYC.
Another key tip: Don’t touch. “If you’re trying to prolong washing your hair, try not to touch it too much. The oil from your hands will get deposited on your hair every time you touch it, only to make it greasier faster,” advises Cho. “If you’re someone who likes to run your hands through your hair, I suggest wearing a chic ponytail or a top knot the day after you wash.”
3. Color Less
Maintaining fresh looking hair color can sometimes be a serious (and expensive) chore. Beth Minardi, owner of Beth Minardi at Mark Garrison Salon in New York, offers these tips to make your color last longer.
David Stanko, hair colorist at Cutler Salon NYC, says that he advises his clients with hair color shades such as “high fashion reds, delicate blondes and even brunettes who tend to fade brassy” to go for as many days possible without shampooing after receiving a fresh color application at the salon. He also offers the below tips:
4. Wave It Up
Everyone loves a good wave; especially when it comes to their hair! However, if you have fine, limp strands, it can be a bit trickier (and take a lot longer than anticipated) to achieve this look. Dean Banowetz, celebrity hairstylist for The Instyler, suggests these tips:
• After shampooing and conditioning the hair, give yourself a nice, relaxed bun. Using a blow dryer, use your fingers and make sure that you get at least 90% of the moisture out of your hair.
5. Do The Up-Down
The long days of summer almost guarantee for a busy social season. If you’ve got minimal time to go from the office to after-work events, JOICO International Artistic Director Damien Carney, suggests trying the half up, half down ‘do! Here’s how:
• Add in a side or center part. Take the side front area of your hair and lightly twist or braid.
• Repeat on the opposite side and secure and join them in the back part of the head just below the crown.
Another method is to comb rake your strands and sweep one side of your hair away from the face.
“By twisting, smoothing or braiding, the objective is to take one side asymmetrically away from the face; excellent for a summer look or a casual party and a great way to refresh and re-energize your hair and face shape,” Carney said.