Watch the Super Bowl onlineSunday’s Super Bowl featuring the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers will be seen by more than 100 million people, and not all of them will be staring at a television.
This move follows the trend of offering consumers more than one way to view entertainment. Many Blu-ray movies now come with extra features you can download to your tablet and enjoy while watching the movie on your TV. It appears the same is happening with streaming football. Viewers are using the service to get more out of the game than ever before.
If that sounds good to you, here are your options for Super Bowl XLVII.
CBSSports.com and NFL.com will broadcast the entire game for free, including the pregame action that begins at 11 a.m. ET. While watching, viewers will be able to change camera angles and comment throughout on Twitter and Facebook.
Verizon will offer live streaming with NFL Mobile where fans can access live, streaming video of the NFL Network. Diehards will be happy to know this includes over 100 hours of Super Bowl preview coverage. NFL Mobile from Verizon is the exclusive smartphone app for the big game on Sunday. The app is free to download but offers a premium subscription on iOS and Android phones for $5 per month.
For the super fan, a digital version of the Super Bowl XLVII Official Game Program is available for download on iOS or Android tablets. This complete version of the 254 page program features a recap of the 2012 season along with a mother load of scouting reports, rosters and everything you could possibly want to know about the two teams.
NFL Fan Pass
NFL Digital Media is offering NFL Fan Pass to folks that want thorough access to players, musicians and celebrities. The program allows fans to interact with Super Bowl week events on NFL.com/fanpass and submit questions to players and featured celebrities using hashtag #NFLFanPass.
NFL Game Rewind
Want to watch every play of the entire 2012 season? NFL Game Rewind delivers this online or via tablet in HD and commercial-free, complete with DVR controls. Game Rewind now includes 25 classic Super Bowls from years past. Super Bowl XLVII will be available on Game Rewind approximately 30 minutes after conclusion of the game. For more, visit NFL.com/GameRewind.
Super Bowl Commercials
Everyone knows there are people who watch the game just for the ads. Now they don’t even have to watch the game. NFL.com and SuperBowl.com will post all the Super Bowl commercials after they have aired on TV. You can watch the commercials, rate them and comment at will.
During the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLVII, fans will be able to vote for the Super Bowl XLVII MVP on NFL.com, either online or on web-enabled mobile devices. The fan vote counts as 20 percent of the overall vote, with the remaining 80 percent determined by the media.
Both teams have mobile apps and both of them are free. The Baltimore Ravens Mobile app is available on iOS, Android, and BlackBerry. Fans get post-game blogs, pre-game previews, news, stats, on-demand videos, photo galleries, and player interviews.
The San Francisco 49ers Gameday Live app is also available on iOS, Android and Blackberry. It offers essentially the same features as the Ravens app.
Football Party Game app
This one is suited for people who are fans of parties, football and trivia games. It’s a live trivia game built specifically for this Super Bowl that lets you keep score of which party guest is earning the most points. It costs $4.99 and is available for the iPhone, iPad and the Web.
It’s a sad truth that some of us will watch the game alone, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be involved with our friends. The TOK Football app is free on the iPad and lets you talk to up to four friends while seeing real-time stats and game news.